By Akomst Published
Accuracy note: Time-sensitive information reflects the publication date. Confirm current deadlines, admissions information and official announcements through the source links in the article.
Advertisement

I once had the honour of leading a newly formed association. I was tasked with writing the association’s first constitution, as well as obtaining the necessary legal registration and recognition.

It was a difficult task, especially because I had no previous experience in carrying out such responsibilities. I therefore began seeking assistance from old friends on how to accomplish them.

A friend eventually connected me with a senior official—perhaps the secretary—of another association who could assist me. I gratefully accepted the offer and, without further ado, contacted the man. We arranged a one-on-one meeting for a day that was convenient for him.

On the agreed date, I boarded the next bus out of town to meet this “heaven-sent” helper. Among other things, he was expected to offer practical advice based on his experience of running an association. He was also expected to lend me a copy of his association’s constitution, which I could study while drafting one for my own association.

dasuki dasukigate

By the end of our very brief discussion, however, I was greatly disappointed.

First, he was unable to give me a copy of their constitution. Second, he offered me what I considered all the wrong advice—although he probably did not see anything wrong with it.

He told me that he envied my position as the leader of the association. He said he would consider himself fortunate to remain my friend while I was in office because he could only imagine how wealthy I would become.

He then advised me on how to embezzle the association’s funds by taking advantage of loopholes in its rules. He explained how I could use certain important positions to give myself almost unrestricted authority to act as I pleased. Since I was writing the constitution, he also advised me to tailor its provisions to favour my tenure.

To support his advice, he gave me several examples of how similar things had been done within his own association.

What was my response?

I concealed my disappointment throughout the conversation and smiled broadly.

My intention in sharing this experience is not to portray the man as evil and myself as a saint. No—not exactly. I am not perfect, and perhaps no one is.

Rather, I am trying to show that there may be another side to each of us that emerges when we are given even a modest amount of leadership, authority or access to public resources.

When this article was first written, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd), a former National Security Adviser, was facing serious allegations concerning the management of public funds. Whatever the courts eventually determine about those allegations, the controversy surrounding his time in office raises an uncomfortable question:

How many of us would pass the same test of public office?

It is easy to condemn corruption when we are outside the corridors of power. It is much more difficult to remain upright when we are given authority, access to money and the opportunity to act without immediate consequences.

Some of us condemn those who divert public funds, yet we inflate the cost of minor assignments entrusted to us. We criticise public officers for employing their relatives, yet we favour our friends whenever we are allowed to make a selection. We complain about leaders who manipulate the law, yet we bend the rules whenever doing so benefits us.

The amount involved may be smaller, and our positions may be less important, but the attitude is often the same.

Perhaps there is a little “Dasuki” in many of us—not necessarily because we have committed the offences alleged against him, but because we may possess the same weaknesses that make the abuse of office possible.

We will continue to seek change in society in vain unless we are also prepared to change ourselves. The change we seek must begin with our character, our daily choices and the way we handle the smallest responsibilities entrusted to us.

Update: July 2026

Sambo Dasuki served as Nigeria’s National Security Adviser from June 2012 until July 2015. He was later charged in several cases arising from allegations concerning arms and security funds. He consistently contested the allegations.

After spending more than four years in detention, he was released in December 2019 following a directive from the Federal Government.

The legal proceedings did not end with his release. Court reports published in 2026 show that one of the major cases—concerning the alleged diversion of ₦33.2 billion in arms and security funds—was still proceeding before the Federal Capital Territory High Court. The trial involved Dasuki, Aminu Baba-Kusa and two companies. As the matter remained before the court, the allegations had not been finally determined in that proceeding.

This update does not change the main lesson of the article. The purpose is not to pronounce anyone guilty before the conclusion of the judicial process. It is to use a prominent national controversy as a mirror through which we can examine our own conduct.

Before asking whether our leaders are honest, we should also ask:

What would I do if I occupied their position?

Post a Comment

Your opinion, views and suggestions are welcome.

 
Top