Editorial note: This post reflects my experience with edX during the early years of Massive Open Online Courses, when online learning was still unfamiliar to many Nigerians and challenges such as expensive data, unstable 3G connections and limited mobile-device compatibility were common. Much has changed since then, but the post remains a personal record of the introduction of MOOCs and my early experience of learning online.
Studying online and earning a certificate was still unimaginable to many people at the time. Although I did not doubt the possibility of earning a verifiable certificate from an online course, like many others, I never imagined that the experience would be anything close to that of a “real” classroom until I joined edX.
Click here to read more about edX, the available courses and how to register.
Having successfully completed my first online course and earned a certificate for my achievement, I was excited to share my personal experience with edX—the platform on which I enrolled as a virtual student.
edX is a Massive Open Online Course platform that offers courses in diverse areas of interest, taught by universities and other educational institutions from around the world.
Choosing a Course
After an initial rush in which I registered for several courses related to my interests, I eventually settled for only one because of challenges I had not anticipated.
Every course had its own requirements and prerequisites, which students were expected to possess to understand the course and meet the minimum grade required for a certificate.
I dropped some courses along the way when I discovered that I did not possess the necessary materials or prerequisites. More importantly, I faced challenges relating to internet connectivity and time.
I finally settled for ColWri 2.2x: Principles of Written English. It had relatively simple entry requirements but was not short of quality or standard. In fact, it was quite engaging, even for someone who already spoke English.
Internet and Data Challenges
Like the other courses, lecture videos were released each week, and every student was expected to watch them either by streaming or downloading them for offline use.
My main challenge was streaming the videos. The 3G service provided by the mobile networks in my area was either unavailable or unstable, so I had to download the videos and watch them offline.
However, edX lecture videos were of high resolution and quality. As a result, the files were large, and downloading a single video could take hours, sometimes with several failed attempts.
The video sizes created another problem. Since I depended on my Android smartphone throughout the course, my monthly data subscription could not cope with regular video downloads. I sometimes had to use a friend’s BlackBerry device because BlackBerry data subscriptions were relatively cheaper and offered more data at the time.
Even after downloading the videos, it took me some time to work out how to watch them. The default video players on many phones did not support the resolution or format of the edX videos. In my case, I only solved the problem after installing a third-party application, MX Player.
Some courses provided transcripts of each video. However, transcripts were not always a complete substitute for watching the lectures.
Assignments and Time Constraints
Most videos focused on a particular topic and were accompanied by homework.
Each assignment had a submission deadline. Students could also be required to read additional materials on the platform or an external website before answering the questions.
These activities could be time-consuming. In fact, lack of time almost made me withdraw from all my courses.
I eventually dropped every other course except ColWri because I was repeatedly missing assignment deadlines.
For ColWri, I was able to meet the deadlines by devoting my weekends—when I was less busy—to watching videos, reading course materials and completing the homework.
In the end, I earned a certificate.
What I Gained from the Course
My experience with ColWri was thrilling. It completely changed my view of online learning.
The course was challenging, not only because of poor internet connectivity and limited time, but also because of the effort, skills and intelligence expected from each student.
Apart from earning a certificate, enrolling in ColWri contributed to my personal development. I was privileged to learn new things while improving what I already knew.
A post on this blog, “Education Sector: Solving the Unemployment Problem,” was originally written as a draft essay and submitted for assessment during the course.
The essay was edited several times, thanks to the innovative peer-review system used on edX and the useful editing techniques taught during the course.
It was therefore a journey of learning, personal development and improvement.
At the time, I was also enrolled in Medicinal Chemistry on edX, and I could confidently say that I was learning. I hoped to share that experience in the future.
As a way of displaying my achievements and encouraging others to enrol in courses related to their interests, I also created a dedicated page on this blog as a hall of certificates from online courses.
Click here to view my certificate or certificates.
Update: Online Learning and edX Today
Online learning is no longer as strange as it appeared when this article was first written. Students and professionals now regularly use online courses, video lessons, virtual classrooms and other digital learning platforms to acquire knowledge and workplace skills.
The edX platform has also changed. Learners can still audit many courses without paying, although free access may be limited to selected materials and a particular period. Graded assignments, examinations and verified certificates are generally available through the paid verified track. Financial assistance may also be available for some eligible courses.
The course I took, College Writing 2.2x, is still represented on edX through a course now listed as Academic and Business Writing. Its description continues to identify it as College Writing 2.2x and focuses on academic and business writing, grammar, vocabulary, revision and editing.
Internet access and smartphones have also improved considerably since my first experience, although data costs, unreliable connections, electricity and access to suitable devices remain challenges for many Nigerian learners.
The tools may have improved, but the basic lesson from my experience remains the same: online learning requires commitment, time management and a willingness to overcome challenges.
A certificate is valuable, but the knowledge and personal development gained during the learning process are even more important.

Post a Comment
Your opinion, views and suggestions are welcome.